Translate

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh reaches 400 Test wickets

OFFSPINNER Harbhajan Singh joined the 400-wicket club after helping to put India in a strong position against the West Indies on day two of the rain-plagued third Test at Windsor Park
.
In his 96th Test, he claimed 2-26 to help bowl the West Indies out for 204.
The visitors replied with 0-8 at stumps.
His landmark wicket was that of topscorer Carlton Baugh, who was bowled as he tried to cut an offbreak.
"Obviously, I'm quite happy that I've got 400 wickets now," Harbhajan said.
"It was there in my mind from the day I've come here in the Caribbean."
The Punjabi spinner arrived in the West Indies poised on 393 wickets.
"I'm done with it now and there's plenty to look forward to," he added.
"I just want to keep working hard on my game and I'm sure I've got a lot of wickets still in me. I just have to make sure I keep myself fit."
Harbhajan, who turned 31 last Sunday, is the 11th bowler to 400 Test wickets and the third from India following seamer Kapil Dev (434) and legspinner Anil Kumble (619).
"I'm really excited to be in that list. They all have done wonders - not just for Indian cricket but in world cricket," he said. "They have made themselves such big names.
"I've been a great follower of all the legends who have crossed 400 wickets and I'm really honoured and really happy to be part of this list."
Harbhajan recalled his first wicket, in his debut Test in March 1998 against Australia in Bangalore.
"I do remember my first wicket. That was Greg Blewett, bowled on my 10th ball in Test cricket," he said with a beaming smile.
Harbhajan could not recollect No.100 (West Indies' Wavell Hinds, ironically on the 2002 tour of the Caribbean) but is aware of his most recent milestones.
"I think my 200th was (Charles) Coventry (of Zimbabwe) and the 300th was my best friend, Ricky Ponting (of Australia)," he said.
"God knows who would be the 500th. Let's hope I get there some day."
Harbhajan stresses that his career is far from over.
"I've got plenty of years in me," he said. "I would like to just keep on working hard on my game and whatever wickets are there for me, God will give me."
The veteran offspinner, who had to fight off accusations of a suspect action at various times during his 13-year career, said he is pleased that his 400th wicket was such a crucial one.
"It was important at that point in time. He (Baugh) was batting really well and it was good to break that partnership in the context of the game," he said.
"He was probably the best batsman and he was attacking all the bowlers and taking the game away from us. It was nice to get him out and get my 400th wicke
t."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am doing my best to encourage me it 's peoples choice..